Events & Updates
IUJ will celebrate our 35th anniversary with an Alumni Homecoming!
Special events are being planned for May 12, 13 and 14, 2017 (subject to change):
- May 12 – evening reception with faculty and IUJ leadership, including Vice Chair Mori (light snacks and drink service, 5-6:30pm)
- May 13 – morning lectures or panel discussion participation, noon Open Day performance rehearsal, afternoon Open Day (International Festival) (2pm-6pm) and evening BBQ (6pm – 8pm) all on campus
- May 14 – morning activity in the area,* followed by late lunch at Hakkaisan Izumi Beer Garden (with fishing stream for kids!).
*Possible activities to be offered include:
- Tennis on campus
- Climbing Boya-san, the hill behind campus
- Cycling up the gorge starting from Cycling Terminal (recommended to stay at Cycling Terminal 5/13)
- Riding the Gondola up Hakkai-san
- Visit to YukiMuro, at Hakkai-san sake brewery
- Trip to Onsen (where is TBA, likely Oyu Onsen in Yunotani or Ikazawa Onsen in Muikamachi)
Where to stay?
IUJ will assist with reservations at the following locations (Listed in order of expensive to cheap – these are special IUJ prices. Prices may become a bit cheaper if many IUJers stay there through this group reservation support)
- Ryugon in Muikamachi (high class Ryokan/Japanese Inn 18,000yen – 22,000yen/person depending on numbers in each room (breakfast service and onsen/hot spring bathing included) Bus service OK. http://www.ryugon.co.jp/
- Sakadojo in Muikamachi (Medium class Ryokan/Japanese Inn with 13 rooms for up to 4 people) 10,000yen/adult Friday and Sundays, 12,000yen/adult (breakfast service and onsen/hot spring bathing included) Bus service OK. http://www.sakadojo.com/?page_id=3262
- Tejimaya Onsen in Urasa (Simple Ryokan with 14 rooms, up to 4 in each room) 7,800yen for adults (12 and over), 6,500yen/child 5-11, and children under 3 free unless they need separate bedding and meals(breakfast service and onsen/hot spring bathing included) Bus service OK. NO Credit Card payments http://www.journal.co.jp/niigata-onsen/onsenyado4/p170-urasa/tejima-frame.html
- Tamonso in Urasa (Simple Ryokan with 8 rooms, up to 4 in each room) 7,500yen for adults, 6,500yen/child 4-12, and children under 3 free unless they need separate bedding and meals (breakfast service and onsen/hot spring bathing included) Bus service OK. NO Credit Card payments http://www.journal.co.jp/niigata-onsen/onsenyado4/p170-urasa/tamon-frame.html
- Hotel Okabe in Urasa (business hotel near Urasa station. only 10 single rooms available on May 13 night: 4 smoking and 6 non-smoking) 6,156yen per night. (breakfast is 1,080 for Japanese style and 540 for simple western style) No bus available. http://www.hotelokabe.com/
- Cycling Terminal in Urasa at Hakkai-san Roku (Ski Lodge, Japan style. 14 rooms for 2-8 people, and one large group room for up to 15 people), 5,360 yen or less – depending on numbers. Japanese-style ofuro public bath only. No toilets in the rooms) Bus service OK. http://www.hakkai-sanroku.com/ Specifically convenient for those interested in cycling on Sunday morning (30 adult bikes and 15 children’s bikes at 400yen each). NO Credit Card payments
- MaruZen Minshuku in Urasa near Hakkai-san Roku. (VERY simple Japanese Inn. No bath or toilets in the rooms, Japanese style ofuro/ public bath only. Bed making on own. 9 rooms for 2-4 people per room). 5,100 for adults, and 4,300 for children. No bus available. NO Credit Card payments
- For other places to stay in the area, please google “MinamiUonuma Hotels” and reserve on your own.
To RSVP, watch for a form to be sent to you, and the link to be added here in January. Deadline for those wanting help with hotel reservations will be February 24. For events only support, the deadline will be March 31.
For questions and comments, please contact email@example.com
Find the Alumni noted by searching the Alumni Directory
Please update event photos in REAL TIME on the WeLoveIUJ Facebook page.
Mid May: International Festival (Open Day)