Off Campus Housing

Living on campus is convenient and very conducive to your academic and social life at IUJ. IUJ has a residential policy which is in place to foster your soft skills in becoming a global leader with a strong network of professional friends in a variety of fields. The Residential Policy means that all students live on campus through graduation.

It is IUJ policy for all students to reside on campus as far as IUJ has the capacity to house you. Single students will live in dormitories on campus, or, if capacity in the dorms exceeds need, in apartments about 1.5K from campus and facilitated by IUJ.

Married students may be eligible to live in the on-Campus Married Student Apartments (2 adults, and up to 2 children under 5 years of age).

Living off campus* may be necessary if IUJ cannot provide housing for family members.  There are a some older apartments on the IUJ Bus Route, but a car is usually required. Furthermore,  there are initial move-in costs that are the equivalent of three months rent. One months rent ranges from 40,000 – 70,000, plus utilities, community fees, transportation costs, etc. The OSS has information on local real estate agents who can assist you with finding an apartment.  We can introduce you to a landlord who speaks English, and other landlords with units on the IUJ bus route.

Those bringing family members who cannot make use of the MSA units, will require prior approval from the Dean (and likely permissions from your scholarship host)  to move off campus.  Making this choice is a private matter and IUJ’s resources are limited to support you.

*Those living off campus, as an academic policy, are required to live in the near vicinity (on the IUJ Bus Route, or within a 20 minute commute). If you live further away, special permissions are required. 

Please also be aware that while IUJ provides shuttle bus services from 8am to 8pm, late night services for a commute home should not be relied on. If there is a specific need, IUJ does try to help when classes are in session. But the capacity may not meet everyone’s needs. Students may need to rely on their own means to return home after 8pm.

Special Note on Bringing your Spouse and children

If your spouse and children are not a Japanese national, they will require a Dependent’s Visa* (they should not come on a tourist visa under any circumstances unless they plan on staying less than 90 days. Extensions and a change of status are not possible). The IUJ student becomes the guarantor and applies for a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) for a Dependent’s visa on behalf of their family. These are not always easy to get and take up to 4 months before issued.

*Note to JISR students, please consult with JICA about family visa support.

How to get the CoE

You need to become your family member(s) guarantor, which means you must first establish yourself as a resident. You must also be able show to the immigration officials a suitable income to provide for your family. Most scholarships are not sufficient funds. You then must fill out the forms and submit them to the Immigration Office for their consideration and approval. The process can take up to 4 months, and does not always result in a visa for the spouse. For more information, contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your area, or your Embassy in Tokyo. IUJ cannot assist you in this process as this is a private matter. We can only provide you the forms to submit to the Immigration Office.

It is highly advisable to wait until spring term of your 1st year before inviting family members.  Best, is to wait until fall of your 2nd year. The reasons are: 1) Your first two academic terms at IUJ are very busy and taking care of your family can be quite difficult. 2) the heavy snow fall can make the adjustment to life in Japan more difficult for family members, and the IUJ student should know the situation beforehand to best assess things for their family members.  3) For those with school aged children, the school year starts in April in Japan  and it is best to start children in the normal school year flow.  Either way, you must consult with the city office to be sure the schools have room for your child.

Spouses and working outside of the home

Spouses are coming as your dependent with the purpose of supporting you in the home, and children’s school matter (if applicable). Spouses should not come to work in the area outside of the home. Children under 3 should stay at home as the day care services here are welfare services, meaning care for children whose parents are unable to do so because they are sick or taking care of elderly parents, etc.

Please read the full Family Guide and make a decision that is good for your family. This guide includes examples of housing, budgets, children’s school issues, etc.  Also, the Info Pack has instructions for obtaining your family’s dependent’s visa.