Work Permit

“Shikaku-gai Katsu-do”

You are in Japan to study, and have received the resident status of a College Student through the stipulations of the Law of Immigration Control and Refugee Authorization. Accordingly, while you stay in Japan you are expected to be engaged only in study and research activities. If you wish to engage in secondary activities, you must obtain permission through the Immigration Office before you start. This includes any kind of work for pay, such as a part-time job, internships, etc.

Those working as Teaching Assistants or Research Assistants on IUJ campus are not required to have a Work Permit, though the library jobs do require it.

The application form asks a few details about your work. You are recommended to use your common sense in determining whether or not the position you are considering is appropriate for a graduate student. If you engage in an activity not covered by your College Student status without permission, you may be subject to punishment. If it is found you are engaged solely in such activity, you may be subject to more severe punishment and possible deportation. Anyone who knowingly employs such a person may be punished for violating the Immigration Control Act.

With a Work Permit you may

  1. Work up to 28 hours a week when school is in session, and 40 hours a week during school holidays (summer internships, for example).
  2. You may obtain a Work Permit with a Student Visa as you enter the country at the immigration counters in the major airports.  A completed form is required (see above).
  3. If you do not secure a work permit as you enter the country, you will need to apply for one through the IUJ. Contact the OSS.
  4. IUJ also should report your activities to the Immigration Office according to their request. In order to avoid getting trouble, we ask you to let us know of any changes in your working situation and status. The Immigration Office will sometimes contact the work place you stated to follow-up.

Following are the necessary documents for the Work Permit application.

  1. Passport
  2. Application Form
  3. A copy of your residence card – or on your new residence card as you enter the country.
  4. Transaction fee of 3,000yen  (may not be needed if obtained as you enter the country).