Hanko (Seal)

If you make a big purchase such as a car or real estate, or when you transfer the ownership right of a telephone to others, you are required to use your “official seal” (Jitsu-in), which need to be registered at the City Office. And sometimes you may be asked to present a seal registration certificate (Inkan Toroku Shomeisho). In order to get it, you need to register your official seal at the City Office, the Residential Affairs Division (Shimin-ka). The registration is free of charge, but the fee for a registration certificate is 300 yen.

You can’t register the following seals:

    1. A seal with a name other than the name which appears on your Residence Certificate;
    2. A seal made of materials such as rubber which can easily be deformed;
    3. A seal which is chipped or worn out:
    4. A seal which does not have an outer line which surrounds the name;
    5. A seal which can’t be contained in a 20 mm x 20 mm square;
    6. A seal which is considered to be inappropriate for a registered seal.

The OSS recommends you make an original hanko using the hanko-shop called Shoseido-inbo located in Itsuka-machi (Tel & FAX: 025-776-2220). It is located a few minutes walk from Itsuka machi station. Cost ranges from 2,000-3,000 yen. OSS has a form you can fill out and fax to them. They may deliver it to you as well.

If you have lost your seal or seal registration card or when you no longer need the card, you must fill out and submit an application to invalidate a registered seal at the Residential Affairs Division (Shimin-ka).

(Prepared by the Office of Student Services at IUJ)