Family Support Information

The following information is in addition to the Family Guide as provided by IUJ, and focuses on pregnancies and infants. For details and more information for families please see that Guide.  Please note that this information may be subject to change with the new and quickly changing hospital environment in our city.  Please use this only as a guide, and check with the services to confirm information!

Figures and Presentations gives are for foreign students at IUJ. Others should consult their own insurance policies.

I. When you are pregnant

Obstetrics for Gynecology care

Kikan Hospital, about 4K from campus, has state of the art facilities to support you. Alternatively, the hospital in Koide can support those who are pregnant.

Be sure to go to the hospital at the first sign of pregnancy. This is very common in Japan and highly recommended for your health and your baby’s health. After 3 or 4 months into your pregnancy, you will be advised to visit the Group Health Check-up Center (Kenshin Center, hereinafter called the check-up center) with a notification of pregnancy and given the Mother and Child Health Handbook (hereinafter called the hospital). There you will receive the Mother and Child Health Handbook (Boshi Kenko Techo, hereinafter called the handbook) and a free check-up card (Jukyusya-sho). The condition of your health during pregnancy, the history of your baby’s growth, and immunizations will be recorded in this handbook. Take this handbook with you whenever you go to the hospital.

Medical Expenses Related to Pregnancies

Being pregnant is not considered a medical condition so your prenatal routine check ups likely will not be covered, nor will a healthy brithing be covered. However, the costs are off set by a subsidy from the City after you registered your child with them.  If, however, there is a medical problem during your pregnancy insurance may cover partial expenses.

Free Check-Ups

When you receive the handbook at the check-up center you will receive 14 free check-up forms (Ninpu Ippan Kenshin Muryo Jyushin Hyo) for routine check-ups. Please show the NHI card and the free check-up forms at the hospital reception desk when you receive routine check-ups.

Subsidies for medical expenses

It is recommended that you keep all your medical expense receipts as some may be reimbursed by the city office when you register the birth of your child.

For detail information please ask the city office.

II. Before your baby is born: Prenatal Classes

The hospital’s check-up center provides free prenatal classes, covering pregnancy, childbirth, etc. You can obtain the class schedule at the hospital. Unfortunately, the classes are held only in Japanese, so it is advised that you have someone accompany you who understand Japanese. You should also bring your handbook with you to these class sessions. Usually a partner also accompanies the mother-to-be.

III. After your baby is born
  • Registration

Within 14 days after the birth of your baby, you are required to report the birth at the City Office to arrange for a Resident’s Card and insurance coverage. You then officially register your child at the City Office within 60 days of birth: you will need a certificate of birth report and the baby’s passport (check with your Embassy for details). Also, you must register your baby at the Immigration Office during this 30-day period and ensure they have an appropriate visa! In short, you need to apply for Permission to Acquire Status of Residence- a Dependent’s Visa -if the baby will stay in Japan for longer than 60 days after birth. Instructions are at and the Application Form at If you do not do this, and your baby is in Japan longer than 60 days, your baby becomes an illegal person in this country.

  • Childbirth Allowance (Shussan Ikuji Ichijikin)

The amount of the expenses for a normal delivery is approximately 420,000yen, but this is not covered by NHI. If you have NHI coverage, you can receive 420,000yen allowance to assist you with the payment of your childbirth expenses. This provided to you by Minami Uonuma City. Please apply for the allowance at the City Office, when you register your baby’s birth. This allowance is remitted directly to a hospital which you were delivered baby or the bank account specified in the application. If you are not covered by NHI and if either you or your husband has public health insurance provided by your employer, ask for this at your company office.

  • Medical Check-ups for Infants

Free check-ups are provided at the hospital and the check-up center to ensure that infants maintain good health. These check-ups are given at the ages of 1 month, 4 months, 7 months, 10 months, 12 months, 18 months, 24months, 30 months, and 3 years. The 7 months check-ups will be conducted individually in the pediatrics center of the hospital. The remaining check-ups will be conducted at the check-up center together with other infants of the same age.

  • Immunizations (Yobo-sesshu)

After birth, the natural immunities which the baby acquires from the mother begin to decline. For example, after three months the immunity to Whooping Cough and Chicken Pox will have faded, and eight months immunities to Measles and Mumps are gone. It is necessary, therefore, to give vaccinations to your baby at the appropriate times.

There are various immunizations that are given to all children. Some immunizations, such as Polio, are given in a group and others are given based on parents’ request. Details of monthly immunization schedules are issued through brochures and circulars mailed out on a monthly basis (i.e. “Kenko Yamato”). Letters will also be sent to each person whose name is registered on residential lists or alien registration lists. Therefore, it is important to have this registration completed and up-dated especially when you have a baby and when you move, etc.

For a chart showing a typical immunization schedule for those under 20, issued by the authorities in Japan, please refer to this IDSC Information.

Procedures for those arriving with children:

Upon your arrival to IUJ, if your child still requires immunizations please consult the pediatrician at Kikan Hospital soon after arrival with the immunization records. Japan’s laws and requirements may differ from your country. Be sure to have your child’s full history with you and compare to the link above, and consult a doctor accompanied by a Japanese speaking friend (please note, the OSS cannot provide this service for family members).

IV. Day Nurseries and Kindergartens

Day nurseries and kindergartens for infants and children are in group situation.

Nursery (age 0-6)/Kindergarten (age 3-6)

Please note that not all children are welcomed to enter nursery schools/kindergartens. There are set quotas for the number of children at each age level that can be handled at those facilities so there may be capacity issues. Therefore it is difficult to have a child accepted at nursery schools/kindergartens in the middle of Japanese fiscal year as staffing numbers have already been set based on the number of children we registered in December for the next April-March academic year. Japan’s school year starts in April. Furthermore, children 3 and under who have an adult available at home may not request the services of KodomoEn. This is for only those special needs families when both parents are full time students, ill, or working full time with no grandparent available.

Furthermore, priority is given to children who need to be taken care of on behalf of their parents in certain situation. See the separate sheet to determine if your child can attend.

Note: You must make arrangements and ensure space for your child in the schools is available. Do this at the city hall before the family members arrive. Also, if they leave Japan or will no longer need the services, you must notify the school and city hall well in advance (at least 1 month) and ask for their support!

V. Compulsory Education

Japan has a compulsory education system. Children are required to go to school for nine years, beginning at age six. There are six years of elementary school, and three years of junior high school. The school year starts in April. To enroll, please visit the Town Office, Education Division (Kyoiku-iinkai). You need to show your child’s Resident’s Card. After enrollment, the Town Office sends notice of admission (in Japanese) by January including the name of the school your child will go to and the first day of the school year. The school your child can attend is designated by the area in which you live (i.e. children living on campus or near the station usually go to Urasa Elementary School or Yamato Jr. High School). Language of instruction is Japanese. Urasa Elementary has limited support for children without language skills, usually using English only.

There are no school tuition fees, but you are required to pay expenses for lunches, school book bags (RandoSeru), teaching aids sold through the schools, extra note books, school trip fees, ski equipment/wear for elementary children, PE clothing, and uniforms for those in junior high, etc.

(Prepared by the Office of Student Services at IUJ – updated January 2015)

VI. Child Allowance

For information on the Child Allowance, please contact the City Offices on your own to make arrangements.

Note: Your child must live in Japan to receive Child Allowance.You cannot receive Child Allowance if your child won’t stay in Japan less than one year. There are no allowances for non-working parents.

VII. Insurance coverage and costs in Japan

For a comprehensive look at NHI coverage, and special care coverage, please refer to this site. Information provided in 4 languages.

VIII. Use this very helpful site for questions on health care, health issues and services in Japan.