Policies for using IUJ computer systems and facilities
Access to the IUJ computing and networking facilities is a privilege granted to students, faculty and staff to assist them in fulfilling their needs that related to the mission of IUJ. The university reserves the right to limit, restrict or extend computing privileges and access to its resources. Those who do not abide by the policies listed below may be subject to suspension of computer privileges and possible disciplinary action. These policies have been authorized by IUJ Security Committee constituted by IUJ President, IR, IM Dean and faculties, Secretary General, MLIC Director and MLIC Manager.
- Decency You may not use the computer and network facilities, including e-mail, to harass or intimidate others by sending annoying, threatening, libelous, or sexually, racially, religiously offensive messages
- You may not copy, disclose, modify or transfer any copyrighted materials such as movies, music, application software programs, and etc. without obtaining permission from the original author.
- Copying documents or data with unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
- Your computer
- You are responsible for your own computer resources; and as such you should take precautions against others obtaining access to their computer resources.
- You must install anti-virus program in your own computer and keep its virus definition database up-to-date to avoid spreading viruses. If your computer spreads viruses, it may be disconnected from the network.
- Public computer
- You may not use the public computer logged on by others.
- You have to shut down the public computer before you leave the computer room. Otherwise you may be liable for printing and other improper activities conducted by others using your own account.
- You may not run or install a program on any of the IUJ public computers, or give any software or programs available at IUJ to others, which could result in eventual damage to a file or computer system.
- Network security
- You may not store any files in the network folders which are not related to your study. Especially, obscene movies, pictures and so on are strictly prohibited. The network administrators may conduct examinations of any or all files on the network to insure appropriate use of the IUJ computing systems. The network administrators may delete them without any prior notice and report the matter to the administration for further disciplinary action.
- You may not deliberately perform acts which are wasteful of computing or networking resources or which unfairly monopolize resources to the exclusion of other. These acts include, but are not limited to, downloading/uploading multimedia files using P2P software like Kazaa, Winny, etc, spreading viruses by any electronic means, sending large attachments via email to individuals or groups on campus.
- You may not allow other people including your family members to share or access your account.
- You may not attempt to learn the password of any other user and may not attempt to use the password for any purposes.
- You may not monitor another user’s data communications, nor may you read, copy, change, or delete another user’s files without permission of the owner.
- You may not attempt to modify system facilities.
- For security reasons, some of the network functions may be limited. Compatible application programs with the computing facilities include Web browsing, Email and Microsoft Network file sharing services.
- Printing fee
- You are charged printing fee for both of the color and monochrome printers provided by IUJ. (7 yen for monochrome printing, 50 yen for color printing per page)
- In case of errors caused by the printers, the printing fee will be refunded but not refunded for any other reasons.
- Expiration of account Your user account will be terminated one month after you leave IUJ.
Note to downloading media files over the internet
Using the internet and IUJ network for mp3, avi, real audio or some other media file access may create serious problems for you and others who use computing resources at IUJ. In order to avoid them, we may erase media files and obviously illegal copy of files on the IUJ public computers without any prior notice. Before downloading media files from Web sites, please consider the following:
- Transferring large media files may overload the network and degrade services. All of us in the IUJ community rely on the network to get our work done. Transferring large media files can slow the network making it “less responsive” or “even unavailable” to you and to others.
- Storing media files on the IUJ public computers and personal computers may violate copyright laws. The content provided by web sites may infringe on copyrights. Use and distribution of copyrighted files without paying the appropriate royalty may be illegal. Copyright infringement could result in piracy convictions, fines, or prison sentences.
- Downloading media files may give others access to everything on your PC. While some web sites make it easy to acquire media files, the programs you download may also set up your personal computer as a server. The server arrangement allows others to retrieve files from the machine creating a distribution point for all files including files that may be copyrighted or licensed to you. This arrangement could also produce even more traffic on our network.Deliberate deeply before downloading media files to your personal computer. Help us continue to offer services in the most efficient, reliable, and secure manner possible to ALL who use computing resources at IUJ.
Some Other Precautions
- Virus infection In a public environment, you need to pay attention for virus infection particularly. Viruses act not only to destroy your important data but to increase themselves and infect other’s computers. Never fail to install an Anti-Virus program to protect your computer.
- Spyware suffering Spyware suffering increases more and more. The case that someone was stolen his personal information concerning bank account or credit card number by spyware was reported recently. Now you should pay attention for spyware more carefully. There are some good anti-spyware programs released for free, you can install it into your computer from IUJ network folder.