Re-entry Permit

new system as of July 9, 2012

A system of special re-entry permission will be introduced for those foreign nationals who wish to re-enter Japan within 1 year without any application for a re-entry permit. If you have valid passport and residence card and will be re-entering Japan within 1 year of your departure* you will not be required to apply for a re-entry permit.
Note: Foreign nationals who have departed from Japan using special re-entry permission will not be able to extend such permission while abroad. Please take note that such foreign nationals will lose their status of residence if they fail to re-enter Japan within 1 year of their departure*.

* If your period of stay expires within 1 year after you departure, please ensure that you re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay. If you plan to leave Japan for more than 1 year or you change your visa status to“Designated Activities” after graduation, you must get a re-entry permit from the Immigration Office before your departure. The re-entry permit will be issued immediately upon application at the Immigration Office. The re-entry permit will indicate the permitted period of time for re-entry. Be sure to return within that period to avoid complicated re-entry procedures. Without declaring special re-entry permit when you leave Japan, your Residence Card will be confiscated by the immigration officer at the airport and your National Health Insurance will be automatically canceled by a report from Immigration. If you do not carry your residence card with you when you leave Japan, you cannot leave Japan using special re-entry permit.

How to Get a Re-entry Permit
There are two types of re-entry permits, single and multiple. You will be charged 3,000yen for a single and 6,000yen for a multiple re-entry permit. The charge should be paid with revenue stamps. You can buy these at a post office ar a shop near the Immigration Office at the time you apply.

  • Personal application:
    You need to fill out the application form and show your student ID card, passport, Alien Registration card and buy the appropriate revenue stamp.
  • Proxy application:
    You need to submit the following documents along with your application form.

    1. your passport
    2. a copy of your Residence card
    3. a copy of your student ID card
    4. charge: 6,000yen for single, 9,000yen for multiple

For questions, contact the OSS