Starting a New Club at IUJ
There is no stated policy or guidelines for starting a club at IUJ. That means it is really easy. Here are a few suggestions and things to keep in mind.
- Inform the GSO-EC and the OSS of your intent to start a club so that these groups may support you. The OSS will update the Club Listings to show your new club.
- Create an attractive poster clearly stating WHAT the club is, what is required of members (any fees? times per week? goal? any further obligations or can they come once and a while). Feel free to use the dorm bulletin boards and the brown boards outside the OSS to post your announcements.
- On the poster state the first meeting time and place. Allow at least 3 days for people to see the poster and adjust their schedules. Put an announcement on the @iuj page and add the meeting to the calendar of events.
- A poster and online notices alone is rarely enough to get a group together. Be sure to personally invite students, faculty and staff.
- DO NOT abuse the e-mail system to advertise your club. You can select a few people to invite via e-mail, but sending out one e-mail message to every address at IUJ is not appropriate.
- If you require any budget, contact the GSO-EC. Usually budget requests are taken in mid Winter Term and the fiscal year for the budget is April 1 through March 31. Sometime the EC has extra funds they can contribute to help you get started. You can do a lot without money, though, so don’t let that stop you.
- Have fun!