▒ Assignment & Exam
- Homework assignment: Memo sample
- Final exam (13:00, Dec. 13) : COVID-19 (CLD) | Exam template file
- Exam sample 1 sample 2 sample 3
▓ Week 1: Public Policy & Policy Analysis
- Weimer & Vining (2010) Chapter 2.
- Class note: Public Policy
- Cairney (2021). Chapter 2.
- Dewey (1927)
- Lowi, Theodore J. 1988. Foreword: New Dimensions in Policy and Politics. In Social Regulatory Policy: Moral Controversies in American Politics. Edited by Raymond Tatalovich and Byron W. Daynes, x-xxi. CO: Westview Press.
- Lowi, Theodore J. 1972. Four Systems of Policy, Politics, and Choice. Public Administration Review 32(4): 298-310.
- Weimer & Vining (2010) Chapter 14, 15 or Dunn (2012) Chapter 1, 2.
- Types of Policy Analysis (29 min)
- Public goods vs. common pool resources
▓ Week 2: Art of Policy Analysis 1
- Landau, Martin. 1977. The Place of Policy Analysis in Political Science: Five Perspectives--The Proper Domain of Policy Analysis. American Journal of Political Science 21(2): 423-427.
- Wildavsky (2018) Introduction (xxxi-lii).
- Class note: Policy Analysis
- Guess and Farnham (2011). Chapter 2
- Landau, Martin, and Russell Stout, Jr. 1979. To Manage Is Not To Control: Or the Folly of Type II Errors. Public Administration Review 39(2): 148-156.
- Stout (1980) Chapter 1.
- Aaron Wildavsky Forum on Public Policy (77 min)
▓ Week 3: Art of Policy Analysis 2
- Majone (1989) Chapter 1.
- Class note: Policy Analysis As Art
- Cohen, Michael D., James G. March, and Johan P. Olsen. 1972. A Garbage Can Model of Organizational Choice. Administrative Science Quarterly 17(1): 1-25.
- Kingdon, John W. 2011. Agendas, Alternatives, and Public Policies. Boston: Longman.
- Rochefort and Cobb (1994). Chapter 1 and 9.
▓ Week 4: Craft of Policy Analysis
- Majone (1989) Chapter 2-3.
- Wildavsky (2018) Chapter 16 "Analysis as craft"
- Class note: Policy Analysis As Craft
- Lindblom, Charles E. 1959. The Science of 'Muddling Through'. Public Administration Review 19(2): 79-88.
- Lindblom, Charles E. 1979. Still Muddling, Not Yet Through. Public Administration Review 39(6): 517-526.
▓ Week 5: Causality Assessment
- Anderson & Johnson (1997)
- Weick (1979) Chapter 3 (Interdependence and organizing. pp.65-88)
- Systems Thinking and Causal Loop Diagram Drawing Causal Loop Diagram
- Systems thinking: An introduction (42 min)
- Sherwood (2002) Chapters 4, 7, and 11.
- Maruyama, Magoroh. 1963. The second cybernetics: Deviation-amplifying mutual causal processes. American Scientist 51(2): 164-179.
- Masuch, Michael. 1985. Vicious circles in organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly 30(1): 14-33.
- Wender, Paul H. 1968. Vicious and virtuous circles: The role of deviation amplifying feedback in the origin and perpetuation of behavior. Psychiatry 31(4): 309-324.
- Causality and causal loop diagrams (31 min)
- Brief intro to system dynamics and feedback, causal loop diagrams (87 min)
- Brief introduction to causal loop diagrams (49 min)
- Systems thinking: Help your giving great greater change (87 min)
- Peter Senge: Systems thinking for a better world (60 min)
- Systems thinking white boarding animation project (8 min)
- Systems thinking, complexity theory and management (103 min)
CLD & System Dynamics Software
- Vensim by Ventana Systems
- Powersim Studio by Powersim Software
- iThink | STELLA
- Drawing causal loop diagrams with Vensim (13 min)
- Systems thinker
▓ Week 6: Basics of Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Krutilla, Kerry. 2005. Using the Kaldor-Hicks tableau format for cost-benefit analysis and policy evaluation. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 24(4): 864-875.
- Boardman, Greenberg, Vining, and Weimer (2011) Chapter 1.
- Boardman, Anthony, Aidan Vining, and W.G. Waters, II. 1993. Costs and Benefits Through Bureaucratic Lenses: Example of a Highway Project. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 12(3): 532-555.
- Guess and Farnham (2011). Chapter 6, 7.
- Cost benefit analysis
- Cost Benefit Perspectives (9 min)
- Net Present Value (NPV) (10 min)
- Cost-Benefit Analysis and Shadow Prices (28 min)
▓ Week 7: Policy Argument
- Majone (1989) Chapter 4 and 6
- Dunn (2012) Chapter 8. Developing Policy Arguments.
- Class note: Policy Argument
- Bardach and Patashnik (2016) Part I (pp. 1-82) and Part II (pp. 83-111).
- Weimer & Vining (2010) Chapter 2.
▓ Week 8: Policy Communication
- Dunn (2012) Chapter 9. Communicating Policy Analysis.
- Majone (1989) Chapter 2
- Tables and Figures
- How to make a bad talk
- COVID-19 (CLD)
- Dunn (2012) Chapter 8
- Bardach and Patashnik (2016) Part II (pp. 72-82)
Final Exam in week 11
▒ Policy Modeling Journals
- Policy Studies Journal by Wiley (2.364) EBSCO → "Chicago"
- Journal of Policy Analysis and Management (JPAM) by Wiley 2.262) | Jstor → (apa)
- Journal of Public Policy by Cambridge Univ. (1.033) | Jstor → (Apa)
- Publius by Oxford Univ. (1.068) | Jstor → chicago
- Science and Public Policy by Oxford Univ. (.983)
- Policy Sciences by Springer → (apa)
- Management Science from Jstor | EBSCO → chicago
- Operations Research from Jstor | EBSCO
- Journal of Policy Modeling by Elsevier (1.387) | ScienceDirect → (apa)
- Journal of the Operational Research Society by Palgrave MacMillan | Jstor
- Politics and Policy by Wiley → "Chicago"
- Public Policy and Administration by Sage (.556)
- Policy Studies by Taylor Francis (.366)
- Harvard journal of law & public policy | EBSCO
- Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis: Research and Practice by Taylor Francis
- Journal of Asian Public Policy by Taylor Francis
- Philosophy and Public Policy Quarterly by George Mason