▒ Exam & Assignment
Week1. Introduction (10/09)
- DiMaggio, P., E. Hargittai, W.R. Neuman, and J.P. Robinson. 2001. Social Implications of the Internet. Annual Review of Sociology 27(1): 307-336.
- DiMaggio, Paul, Eszter Hargittai, Coral Celeste, and Steven Shafer. 2004. Digital Inequality: From Unequal Access to Differentiated Use. In Social Inequality, ed. Kathryn M. Neckerman, 355-400. New York: Russell Sage Foundation (Working Paper)
- Digital divide & digital inequality (22min)
- Class note
- Americans in the Information Age Falling Through the Net (NTIA)
- Digital Divide Network | Community Technology Centers' Network (CTCNet)
- Pew Internet & American Life Project (Data) | Digital Divide Data
- What's the digital divide? (5min)
- Digital divides: The potential of the Internet for development (40min)
- Who's widening American's digital divide? (55min)
- The implications of digital inequality for Internet research (Eszter Hargittai) (60min)
Week 2. Intellectual Property Rights (10/16)
- Aspray (2004) Chapter 7 (Intellectual property, pp. 201-230)
- Psy's Kangnam Style
- Copyrights, Trademarks, Patents & Trade Secrets (8min)
- Class note (Copyright & Software License)
- Chang (2007) Chapter 6
Week 3. Information ownership (10/23)
- May (2007) Chapter 1 (Introduction: Setting the scene, pp. 1-33) and 4 (Digital rights management: two cases for consideration, pp. 95-125)
- History of DRM & Copy Protection in Computer Games (17min)
- Is digital rights management a solution or a problem? (4min)
- Class note
Week 4. Universal Service & Access (10/30)
- Prasad, Rohit. 2013. Universal Service Obligation in the Age of Broadband. Information Society 29 (4): 227-233.
- Varian. 2005. Universal Access to Information. Communication of the ACM 48 (10): 65-66.
- Class note
- FCC, Knight Foundation Discuss Universal Broadband Access (3 min)
- Free Press testifies before Congress on universal broadband access (5 min)
- Public switched telephone (Wiki) | Public switched data network (Wiki)
- Universal Services (Wiki) | Universal Service Fund (Wiki)
- Universal Service Administrative Company | Universal broadband service (Wiki)
- Incombent local exchange carrier (ILEC) (Wiki) | Voice over IP (Wiki)
- Internet and Phone Access: Universal Telecommunication Service (2008) (140min)
- Universal Service in the Age of Competition and Technological Change (93min)
- Is Universal Service a Good Idea? (99min)
- The Communicators: Universal Service Fund (30min)
- Universal access to public services" Brian O'Connell (34min)
- The EIF Debate on Wireless Broadband and Universal Access (8min)
Week 5. Use of Social Media (11/06)
- Hindman (2009) Chapter 6 (Blogs: The new elite media, pp. 102-128)
- Reddick, Christopher G. and Donald F. Norris. 2013. Social Media Adoption at the American Grass Roots: Web 2.0 or 1.5? Government Information Quarterly 30(4): 498-507.
- Class note
- Social Media (Wiki) | Classification of social media
- Social Media Prism
Week 6. Freedom of Information & Privacy (11/13)
- Narayanan & Shmatikov. 2012. Privacy and Security: Myths and Fallacies of "Personally Identifiable Information. Communication of the ACM 53(6): 24-26.
- Solove (2011) Chapter 1-5 (pp. 1-46)
- Class note
- History of UK's Freedom of Information Act (7min)
- How to use the Freedom of Information Act (14min)
- The Freedom of Information Act in action (11min)
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (39min)
- Dangers of inadequate information and attack on the FOIA (51min)
- George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four "Big Brother" (108min)
- Privacy Act of 1974 | Freedom of Information Act
- Freedom of Information Act (Wiki)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) | Internet Privacy Right
- US Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT)
- The Computer Security Division (CSD)
Week 7. Freedom of Speech & Censorship (11/20)
- Levmore and Nussbaum (2010) Chapter 1 (Speech, privacy, and reputation on the Internet, pp. 15-30) .
- Solove (2007) Chapter 1 (Introduction: When poop goes primetime, pp. 1-13) and 6 (Free speech, anonymity, and accountability, pp. 125-160).
- Case study: Minerva Syndrome
- Class note (cost benefit analysis)
- Social media's struggle to deal with fake news (7min)
- How to stop fake news on social media (4min)
- National Coalition Against Censorship | Internet Free Expression Alliance
- What is fake news?(3min) | What is fake news?(12min)
- Here's how fake news works (3min)
- Levmore and Nussbaum (2010) Chapter 9 (Cleaning cyber-cesspools, pp. 155-173).
Week 8. Civic Engagement (11/27)
- Bimber and Davis (2003) Chapter 1 (The question, pp. 3-11).
- Putnam (2000) Chapter 9 (Against the tide? pp. 148-180).
- Stromer-Galley, Jennifer. 2000. On-Line Interaction and Why Candidates Avoid It. Journal of Communication 50(4): 111-132
- Class note (civic engagement)
- Park, Hun Myoung, and James L. Perry. 2008. Does Internet use really facilitate civic engagement? Empirical evidences from the American national election studies. In Civic Engagement in a Networked Society, eds. Erik Bergrud and Kaifeng Yang, 237-270. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- National Anthem and Marching Forward by Chun In Kwon (9min)
- Candle lighting (2min) Candlelight surf (3min)
- Candlelight Gathering in Seocho (2min) | Candlelight Gathering 2 (1min)
- Hong Kong: 1.7 million march for democracy (5min)
Final exam (week 11)